JACOB H. CARRUTHERS FOR INNER CITY STUDIES
Monica Thomas (Moni Rashad)
Moni Rashad (artist, writer, activist)
• Executive Producer and writer of released debut CD Flowers In the Ghetto April 2007; selling 1,800 units at first release. Over 1,000 downloads, as well as, 300 units have been sold through internet sites promoting independent artists. Flowers In the Ghetto is now available at Moni Rashad; www.cdbaby.com/cd/monirashad and can also be purchased at Dr. Wax Records in Hyde Park and North Chicago as well as House of Africa, Chicago; www.houseofafricaskc.com
• Venues: Taste of Chicago, DuSable Museum, Cotton Club, Close up II, Harold Washington Cultural Center, Legacy Theater, Camp Ronora, Various churches in the Mid West, Borders Bookstores, Pump Room, Cotton Club, Island Records.
• Writer: Wrote Flowers In the Ghetto for currently released CD; wrote tribute poem to Winnie Mandela for Expo for Todays Black Woman Gala; author and writer of Forgotten Pearls developed at Legacy Theater in Blue Island, Illinois; writer of Free Spirit accompanied by Rory Flack- Berghart in Ebony on Ice
March 2011: Self Published and released first Novel: How To Grow Out of the Wilderness; the first print has already sold over 500 copies in 30days.
• Theater Portrayals: Portrayed Phyllis Hyman, Angela Davis, Tammy Terrell, and Mehalia Jackson.
• Theater Narrator: Narrator for V. Holmes Tribute to Motown Greats, as well as, for Forgotten Pearls and the Phyllis Hyman Tribute.
• Vocals: Received personal invite to open for Bernie Macs Monday Night Open Mic at the Cotton Club in Chicago, Illinois. Background vocals for the following artists: Billie Dickens, Ken Chaney, Alvin Farrakhan, Sue Conway, Andre Crouch, Docs Fish radio voice over, Jazz vocals with jazz trumpeter Kafele.
• Motivational Speaker/Teen and Young adult mentor/Female Responsibility Workshop and Programs
• Columbia College; Chicago, Illinois: studied music theater and music business. • Kenwood Academy High School; Chicago, Illinois: focused on theater and fashion.
Visit our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter!
Check our EVENTS page for upcoming shows!
©2014 The Great Black Music Project. All rights reserved.